Postgraduate/ Master of Science Program
“Strategies of Developmental and Adolescent Health”
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
Postgraduate/ Master of Science Program “Strategies of Developmental and Adolescent Health”
The Medical School of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens has introduced the Postgraduate/Master of Science program “Strategies of Developmental and Adolescent Health”, since the academic year 2017-2018. This academic curriculum has a two year duration and leads a Master of Sciences (MSc.) Degree on “Strategies of Developmental and Adolescent Health”.
This Msc Program has two specialties:
1) “Developmental and Adolescent Health - Development of Health Services for Children and Adolescents”
2) “Education – Psychosocial Health and Development of Services for Children and Adolescents”
The aim of Master of Sciences (MSc.) “Strategies of Developmental and Adolescent Health” is to provide high standard education to health professionals, psychologists, social workers . educators and teachers who work with children and adolescents in order to strengthen their abilities and skills towards the field.
The Program covers the main developmental milestones from the first years of life through adulthood and the field of Developmental and Behavioral Health. Postgraduate students get acquainted with entities often neglected or not visible enough, that are misdiagnosed due to their clinical diversities and/or lack of expert sensitization. The role of environment (family, pre-school, school, peers) in the development of youth is assessed and coping options are also thoroughly discussed.
The holistic approach, in terms of a psychosomatic view of symptoms and expressions, as well as the focus on the significance of prevention through lifestyle choices are main goals of the MSc.
The World Health Organization (W.H.O.) sets as priority the care of children, adolescents and youth, being the most important life periods for the limitation of adult morbidity. In most countries, a need for developing W.H.O. friendly services has emerged, focusing on social-emotional empowerment and life skills, in order to develop resilience and positive coping patterns. Dealing with school challenges, especially in the post Covid-19 era, is also a significant goal, as well as positive parenting culture and prevention of high risk behaviour.
National needs are to be addressed, as there is a gap in the existence of services meeting the developmental needs of children and teenagers in a multidisciplinary way. In addition, services offering this type of care, are in need of professionals with knowledge and training on this field, such as medical doctors, nurses, health visitors, counselors of mental health, social workers, occupational therapists, special educators, etc..
In addition, educators and teachers can really accomplish main goals of the MSc, developing a school culture for health promotion and quality of life (health promoting schools).
The graduates of the Postgraduate/MSc Program will have knowledge/expertise on:
1) the developmental background and characteristics of childhood and adolescence
2) the adjustment of children and teens in school environment
3) developing techniques of social-emotional empowerment/life skills helping children and adolescents become more resilient
4) approaching/communicating with children, adolescents and their parents in a scientific and holistic way and offering them crucial support
5) organizing and coordinating services of developmental and adolescent health orientation
6) evaluating the level and quality of services provided to children and adolescents
7) acquiring communication skills with children, adolescents and their family in order to achieve best treatment in a climate of understanding and cooperation,
8) facing hard times, disappointment and the work load
9) searching on new ways of improvement of services in a scientific level
10) preventing unhealthy conditions and promoting safe choices
11) solving scientific problems and contributing to fruitful scientific conversations
12) being part of multidisciplinary groups and exchanging ideas on new knowledge to be produced
13) developing intervention programs taking into consideration the specific characteristics of these age groups
14) acting independently in a professional level,
15) acquiring knowledge and abilities in scientific research which will allow both the production of scientific work and the critical view of its quality and utilization
16) keeping up with the national framework and analyzing matters taking under consideration the specific needs of Greek society
17) discussing with clarity and accuracy and producing scientific papers with academic structure and content
18) joining actively in the research of the developing area of developmental and adolescent health and, in addition, on the fields of school psychology and special education
©2023 Postgraduate/ Master of Science Program “Strategies of Developmental and Adolescent Health”.